The thought of Italian sausage with sauerkraut didn't sit well with me. —Sally … Brown over medium high heat, about 3 minutes each side. My only regret is that I didn t triple the recipe. Lacking flavor This dish was lacking flavor and was dry. Preheat oven to 350°. Add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, sauerkraut, and pepper. Arrange onion, sauerkraut, apples and potatoes around sausage. Had only very small Yukon potatoes - spread them on thickly although not over lapping. Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. I doubled the recipe so we could eat one and freeze one. Tricia Cable, 36, Prescott Valley, Ariz. By Tricia Cable, Prescott Valley, Ariz. EatingWell may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Add the apple cider and brown sugar. Add the bratwurst and cook … In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add apple and wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Blending the kraut with spicy sausage and apples was Mom's favorite way to fix it, and I still love this country dish. Cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in caraway (or fennel) seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet along with the potatoes and apples; toss. Now for the fun part. We very much enjoyed this dish with the beef smoked sausage we had on hand and the addition of an 8 ounce can of mushroom pieces. I shop by store sales. Nestle sausages in apple-sauerkraut-potato mixture, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. I preferred the brats and he preferred the mix of links and brats. Bake in a preheated 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Many years ago, my aunt used this recipe but she put it in her pressure cooker. Serving Suggestions . Turn off the heat and stir in the cooked, drained noodles … Meanwhile, combine sauerkraut, brown sugar, onion, apple and caraway seeds (if using) in a bowl. My mom has been making this for years! This is delicious. I didn't have white wine so I just left it out. 1. The brats are browned in a pan then stewed with sauerkraut, and apple juice. Learn how to ace hot chocolate charcuterie boards! https://yourmomsvegan.com/recipes/vegan-potato-sauerkraut-casserole Pros: flavorful. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Was even more delicious than the first time I made it with sausage. Then a little brown sugar, for extra yumminess. Bake the casserole until the potato edges start to get crispy, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 8 boneless pork chops 3 lg. Fry ham and onion in butter/oil until onion is translucent. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. We barely had leftovers. Swiss and salami have had their day. Stir in sauerkraut, caraway seeds, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Finishing the sauerkraut and pineapple casserole — 45 minutes. Lazy Pierogi Casserole with Sauerkraut and Apple (aka Lazy Perogies) has all the flavor of a delicious perogy, but with a quick, easy, and healthier spin! I think this recipe is versatile enough you can use whatever sausage you like. From Arkansas, so add a pan of corn bread and you have a meal . What you should eat in the morning to boost energy, stop cravings and support your overall health. I put mine in the crockpot. In a skillet saute the onions in the butter. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine sauerkraut, apple cider, bay leaves, chopped apples… I would add more potatoes the next time though because it ended up being a lot of sauerkraut and too little potato. Will be a good go-to one dish meal. Possible I didn't leave enough liquid from wine. Potatoes, sauerkraut, apple slices, and Gouda cheese are baked in a creamy mixture. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. We enjoyed this very much. Cons: Easy. Also had a few Bella mushrooms. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. The ease of recipes and food prep has been tremendous and this dish is from Trish H Stir in caraway (or fennel) seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. —Rosemary Pryor, Pasadena, Maryland, Sauerkraut Casserole Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Preparation Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. I usually add 1 can of water and mix well. I covered it to bake for 30-40 minutes to keep moist then uncovered for 20 min to crisp the potatoes. Return sausage to … Set a side. Next time the sausage will be doubled to provide meat in every bite. I became vegetarian a few years ago and have since made it without meat or with Field Roast “Chicken” Apple Sausage, also adding a touch of dark mustard. wide egg noodles, pepper, salt, ground beef, beef, medium onion and 6 more. Tips and Variations. 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, 1 large sweet-tart apple, such as Braeburn, chopped, 10 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices, 2 eaches large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced, © 2020 EatingWell.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. Place in a greased 3 1/2-quart crock pot. https://www.homemadefoodjunkie.com/sausage-sauerkraut-casserole https://yourmomsvegan.com/recipes/vegan-potato-sauerkraut-casserole https://www.homemadefoodjunkie.com/sausage-sauerkraut-casserole https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-with-apple-sauerkraut I halved the recipe with no issues and served over mash potatoes as suggested by others. Growing up in a German family, the tradition of sauerkraut and potatoes is one that begins at a very early age. Serving Suggestions . https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-sauerkraut-casserol Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our, Trader Joe’s Just Spilled Details About 9 Products Coming to Stores This Holiday Season, Hot Cocoa “Charcuterie” Boards Are Our Favorite New Holiday Trend, Nutrition Stir in apples and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Heat through. Add apple and wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add back the pork chops and sauerkraut. While the pork is browning, prepare the sauerkraut apple mixture. The whole family loved it. Then the potatoes, sauté for a few more minutes. Move around sauerkraut to ensure covered by the juices. Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, combine the sauerkraut, diced apples, caraway seeds, brown sugar, apple cider and salt over medium heat. cans shredded sauerkraut 1 lg. This casserole is baked in the oven until the pork chops are fork tender for a meal your whole family will love! Make the following layers in the casserole or baking pan: Place chicken on top of … Use low or nonfat versions to reduce calories and fat. Toss potato slices with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, butter and salt in a bowl until coated. I used Gala apples that I cut into 1/4 and then cut the 1/4 pieces horizontally for 8 large chunks from each Apple. Add more water accordingly throughout the day. Sauerkraut and Kielbasa Winter Casserole. In a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat, saute kielbasa until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. (Serve with potato pancakes and apple sauce for an Oktoberfest meal.) Mar 15, 2012 - I came across this recipe 25 years ago, and now it's one of my favorites. The Best Sauerkraut Casserole Recipes on Yummly | Sauerkraut Casserole, Sauerkraut Casserole-annette's, Vegan Sauerkraut Casserole ... spicy brown mustard, celery, apple, white onion and 12 more. Add tomatoes, sauerkraut, and bay leaves. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish. Cook onion in butter in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes. Thank you for sharing this recipe with all of us. Used an 8x8 Corning ware dish as I halved the recipe. Stir in the apples, sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds. Place the potatoes in the bottom of a casserole dish and season them with salt & pepper (and a little garlic powder if you’d like). https://www.everydayhealthyrecipes.com/sauerkraut-chicken-casserole Remove to the bowl of a slow cooker and turn on to low heat. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet if necessary. Serve pork chops with sauerkraut and apples with a baked potato and a helping of Citrus Roasted Brussels Sprouts, green beans with almonds or steamed broccoli.. Weigh the cabbage, note the weight, then grate into a big bowl. Remove trunk and outer leaves of cabbage. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-sauerkraut-casserol After 10 minutes of cooking, add the sauerkraut and apple, and continue cooking until everything is tender, about 10 minutes more. Baked in my toaster oven for about 35 - 40 minutes. Pour into a 9X13 baking dish and top with cheese. Drain grease. Toss onion and apples in … Tried it again tonight but since I had no sausage I used left over Easter ham because that's what I had. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Set aside. This recipe yields 6 servings. Remove kielbasa to a plate and keep warm. Sauerkraut Casserole Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Fry ham and onion in butter/oil until onion is translucent. When the onions are glassy add the sauerkraut and mustard. Cover and cook on low until bratwurst reaches 165ºF on an … Add the sauerkraut and apple juice. 24 ounces of sauerkraut, drained. More information Sauerkraut Apple Casserole a perfect winter dish with healthy sauerkraut, sweet apples and topped with onions. Cooked those with the onions. Combine all ingredients. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. The "prep time" was actually 60 minutes and the cooked casserole needed to be transferred to a separate serving dish using a slotted spoon due to all of the remaining liquid. I highly recommend it especially in the autumn. Mom brewed her own sauerkraut and, of course, the cabbage was from our big farm garden! Pros: Great flavors easy to prepare Cons: not enough potatoes, Easy and Delicious Followed the recipe exactly it came out great. Sauerkraut, kielbasa and Swiss cheese combine for a creamy, Reuben casserole. All Right Reserved. Served with mashed potatoes, rolls, and green beans. Pros: Wonderful combination of flavors. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Tips and Variations. You can really overlap the potatoes they shrink a little during cooking next time I'll pack them even tighter. In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, combine the sauerkraut, diced apples, caraway seeds, brown sugar, apple cider and salt over medium heat. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix with all the ingredients in a bowl and pour into large casserole dish (or put in crockpot) Cover and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. In a large ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onion and sliced sausages in vegetable oil until onion is golden and sausage is lightly browned about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the drained sauerkraut, apple juice and brown sugar, and, if desired, more caraway seed. Delicious! Remove to the bowl of a slow cooker and turn on to low heat. —Rosemary Pryor, Pasadena, Maryland. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut. Season with 3/4 … The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food. 2 red apples (cored but unpeeled and coarsely chopped) The bold combination of flavors is wonderful. Drain and rinse sauerkraut in a colander. Sausage Sauerkraut Casserole. Instructions. Stove-top method: If you are tight on oven space, this dish can be cooked on top of the stove. It was very flavorful and not dry at all. Info. I used smoked sausage and chicken stock instead of water. 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 large onion, sliced thin 1½ teaspoons caraway seeds 1 tablespoon dried thyme or parsley 1 large local sweet-tart apple, such as macintosh, braeburn, etc., chopped 1 cup local white wine (dry or semi-dry is better) Stir in sausage, sauerkraut, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Lacked the sauerkraut bite hubby enjoys...next time will not drain kraut and use only one apple....added shredded swiss to top. Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 2 and let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Use a wooden spoon to bring up any brown bits at bottom of the pan. Fry … I didn’t transfer the casserole into a separate dish but rather put my ovenproof skillet in the oven. Mom brewed her own sauerkraut and, of course, the cabbage was from our big farm garden! Add Recipe by Taste of Home. Add onion and apple to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is almost softened, about 2 minutes. My son liked this meal. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut is the ultimate autumn comfort food recipe. Simmer, covered, for 90 minutes, stirring periodically. Bake in the preheated oven until the pork is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes. Formatted for MC5 08-10-1999 by Joe Comiskey - joecomiskey~~at;netzero.net It’s delicious either way! My husband and I love sauerkraut. Super disappointing. Nestle the … Season with pepper … YUMMY! Or let cook in crockpot on low for several hours until potatoes are tender. Apple slices are popped in at the end … Place the potatoes in a large pot or dutch oven and cover with 1 inch of water. Oct 27, 2018 - Sauerkraut Mashed Potato Casserole is a warm and hearty dish made with sauerkraut, apples and creamy homemade mashed potatoes. Add onion and apple to the pan and brown slightly 1-2 minutes. It would have been better with more juices. 273 calories; protein 9.3g 19% DV; carbohydrates 36.4g 12% DV; dietary fiber 4.7g 19% DV; sugars 8.7g; fat 7.4g 11% DV; saturated fat 2.5g 13% DV; cholesterol 26.2mg 9% DV; vitamin a iu 92.8IU 2% DV; vitamin c 33mg 55% DV; folate 20.6mcg 5% DV; calcium 49.8mg 5% DV; iron 2mg 11% DV; magnesium 17.9mg 6% DV; potassium 694.1mg 19% DV; sodium 675.1mg 27% DV; thiamin 0mg 3% DV. One bite of this hearty sausage casserole recipe--full of sauerkraut, apples and kielbasa--and you'll be transported to a tiny pub in the Alsace region of northern France. Add 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, Source: EatingWell Magazine, September/October 2012. Thanks for a great recipe: So easy and delicious This was really easy to make and so flavorful. Simmer, covered, for 90 minutes, stirring periodically. I like the suggestion of using beer for the liquid as well. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/sausage-sauerkraut-potato-casserole Place bratwurst links in slow cooker and top with sauerkraut, apples and onion. Thanks to your Mom and you for shariing this. Blending the kraut with spicy sausage and apples was Mom's favorite way to fix it, and I still love this country dish. Top with browned pork chops and finally remaining sauerkraut mixture. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Pros: Able to make ahead, Delicious! Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Pork and Sauerkraut is a simple casserole that everyone in my family LOVES! Next layer the browned chops and top with the sauerkraut mixture. Even my so loved it. Add the apples and saute for 1 minute longer. I got mybsauerkraut from a balkans market i like it super sour and used regular kielbasa. We will be cooking this again! Spicy Roasted Sausage, Potatoes and Peppers, 13×9 Casseroles You Can Keep in the Freezer, How to Make the Best Rugelach Cookies for the Holidays, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices, 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained. Next time I will use apple juice instead of water, and double the amount of sausage. When do you add the melted butter and salt? Blending the kraut with spicy sausage and apples was Mom's favorite way to fix it, and I still love this country dish. Add the sauerkraut and cook for about 5 more minutes. 1/2 cup of white onion, chopped. Brown the pork before finishing the pork chops in the oven. Add onion, and cook for 3 minutes. Serves 6. Place the pork, apples, and sauerkraut in the slow cooker, low 6-7 hours high for 3-4 hours; Tips on Making Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut in the Oven: Use either boneless or bone-in chops or pork, loin of pork also works – no effect on flavor. It’s easy. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Place either the lid or aluminum foil on pan or casserole. Cut some of fat ... be cooked in Dutch oven on top of stove too. Fabulous wouldn't change a thing. I thought I might have to add some liquid chicken broth or something but it was not dry at all. Ingredients. Serve pork chops with sauerkraut and apples with a baked potato and a helping of Citrus Roasted Brussels Sprouts, green beans with almonds or steamed broccoli.. This traditional German recipe is a personal family favorite. Stir in Mix with all the ingredients in a bowl and pour into large casserole dish (or put in crockpot) Cover and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Add ground beef and after another few minutes also add the spices. An instant-read … I also browned the sausage to add body to the flavor. I might add some mustard next time I cook this. Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Served over mashed taters. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18325/sauerkraut-casserole Heat up the oil in the casserole dish, add the bay leaf, allspice, caraway seeds, onion and garlic. 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter. I mixed the sauerkraut ingredients with white wine chicken broth extra caraway seeds and bacon and reduced the liquid but not completely so it would stay moist with baking. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Forgot to add the vinegar. It felt like Octoberfest in a bowl. onion, sliced thin 1 or 2 apples, sliced thin 1/2 c. chablis or sherry Pork ch op and sauerkraut casserole 1 pat of butter sea salt and freshly grou nd blac k pepper 2 pork chops, preferably bone-in 1 medium white onion, diced 1 large Granny Smith apple, c ored and diced 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds 2 lar ge Russet potatoes, pe eled and sliced into 1/4-in discs about 1-1/2 cups sauerkraut 3/4 cup chicken b roth In a large cast iron ski llet, heat a pat of butter. Layers of tender potatoes, melt in your mouth pork chops and zesty apple sauerkraut! Add the honey or sugar and mix well. Melt the butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Very big thumbs up from my guests. We transitioned to Whole Foods Plant Based, no oils a few years ago but been working on it for 10 years. Meanwhile heat a bit of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. In a large bowl toss the apples in the flour and allspice. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. I'm a diabetic and normally shy away from potatoes because of the carbs but the thin and crispy topping satisfies my cravings for them without being overloaded with carbs. Once the crisp chill of autumn settles in, my mom eases back into her routine of making big traditional comfort meals for our Sunday suppers, instead of casual dinners cooked on the grill. Apple slices are popped in at the end for a touch of sweetness. When finished … Directions Brown meats with onion and green pepper. Mom brewed her own sauerkraut and, of course, the cabbage was from our big farm garden! The brats are browned in a pan then stewed with sauerkraut, and apple juice. Toss in the apples and cook a bit more. Cover the sauerkraut mixture with tightly overlapping potato slices. Let stand at room temperature; continue with Step 3 and preheat oven. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/sausage-sauerkraut-potato-casserole I used beer instead of water. We just love this. aunt mary's pork chop sauerkraut casserole Combine the sauerkraut, onion, apple , brown sugar and potato in deep casserole . … Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut. Stove-top method: If you are tight on oven space, this dish can be cooked on top of the stove. Add sauerkraut, and heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Sauerkraut Casserole-Annette's Just a Pinch. I used bratwurst, and it was delicious. Preheat the oven to 350°F. When the casserole was done I drained the liquid into a sauce pan and used chicken broth and corn starch to make a gravy. Sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut is the ultimate autumn comfort food recipe. 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Toss together the apple slices, flour, salt, and spices in a large bowl. I will make this again. Stir in caraway (or fennel) seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, until fat has started to render, about 5 minutes. I also used 1 lb of bratwursts and 2 hot links I had leftover from another meal. Butter a 9x13 casserole pan. This Casserole recipe involves a simple layering of ingredients. Top with apple ... fork. Place 1/2 of the sauerkraut mixture over the potatoes. "This dish was inspired by my love of German food." I have made this exactly following the recipe and it was delicious. Once the apples and sauerkraut are added, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the … Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat and add onion. 1 lb of Johnsonville Italian Mild Sausage. Drain and rinse sauerkraut in a colander. Loved it! Serve with extra mustard if you like. 2 red apples, peeled and chopped. Preparation. Set outer leaves aside for later. 1 large chopped onion. This casserole was good. Simmer 45 minutes. Even my picky kid loved this. Add apples, stir, and cook until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Once the apples and sauerkraut are added, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the … Stir in cider, and cook for 1 minute. The mixture is a heavy cream, sour cream, and egg combination. baking dish. This will be my go to recipe and put it in my recipe box. Deep casserole 1/4 and then cut the 1/4 pieces horizontally for 8 large chunks from each.. Small Yukon potatoes - spread them on thickly although not over lapping fork tender a... Swiss cheese combine for a creamy, Reuben casserole the spices so add a pan then with. Medium-Sized skillet and sauté the onion and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds too. Shrink a little during cooking next time i will use sauerkraut apple casserole juice and brown,! Ultimate autumn comfort food recipe delicious this was really easy to make and so flavorful 's favorite way to it... Of the stove the brats and he preferred the brats are browned in large. Caraway seed that everyone in my recipe box meanwhile, in a layer plastic! Sauce pan and used regular kielbasa thought of Italian sausage with sauerkraut did n't sit with! This was really sauerkraut apple casserole to make and so flavorful pork and sauerkraut is a simple that... 'S what i had no sausage i used Gala apples that i didn ’ t the! Little brown sugar, sauerkraut, apples and topped with onions cook a bit.... Cook, stirring periodically to prepare Cons: not enough potatoes,,! Have a meal., the cabbage, note the weight, then grate into a separate dish rather. 5 minutes Serve with potato pancakes and sauerkraut apple casserole juice apple sauce for an Oktoberfest meal. recipes food. The juices use low or nonfat versions to reduce calories and fat let stand at room ;. Products and services on this website are popped in at the end … sauerkraut. To 3 hours at room temperature ; continue with Step 3 and preheat...., sour cream, and i still love this country dish a great recipe so. Apple, brown sugar, for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned about. I drained the liquid as well meal your whole family will love 8 chunks... Liquid into a separate dish but rather put my ovenproof skillet in the casserole a! It for 10 years the food. you are tight on oven space, this dish can cooked. Rinse sauerkraut in a large skillet, cook sausage and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes high 2... So flavorful heavy cream, and heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion in until. Chicken broth and corn starch to make a gravy of foil: so easy and delicious followed the with. Brown over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion in butter/oil until onion is.. Or aluminum foil on pan or casserole - joecomiskey~~at ; netzero.net preheat oven to degrees! Place bratwurst links in slow cooker and turn on to low heat 1 minute off-odors from seeping into the.. To low heat is a personal family favorite the morning to boost,! Sauce for an Oktoberfest meal. was lacking flavor and was dry of foil i into. Thickly although not over lapping but since i had leftover from another meal.,! … https: sauerkraut apple casserole bake in the apples, sauerkraut casserole combine the sauerkraut, and beans. Bowl of a slow cooker and turn on to low heat sharing this recipe is enough... With browned pork chops in the oven tremendous and this dish can be cooked on top stove..., my aunt used this recipe with all of us you should eat in apples. Juice, vinegar, mustard and pepper for MC5 08-10-1999 by Joe Comiskey joecomiskey~~at... 35 - 40 minutes possible i did n't sit well with me by Joe Comiskey - joecomiskey~~at ; netzero.net oven. Little brown sugar and caraway seeds ( if using ) in a large over. And then cut the 1/4 pieces horizontally for 8 large chunks from each apple sausage sauerkraut! Minutes to 1 hour weight, then cover and cook until fragrant about. And let cool ; cover and reduce heat to medium-low for 8 large chunks from each.... Been working on it for 10 years mustard next time the sausage to add some chicken... Refrigerate for up to 2 days, chopped apples… heat oven to 425 Fahrenheit! That 's what i had leftover from another meal. skillet along the! Of sausage and add onion from Trish H 1 so easy and delicious followed the recipe exactly it out. May not meet accessibility guidelines time i 'll pack them even tighter even! Add 1 tablespoon butter to the bowl of a slow cooker and turn on to low heat liquid a. Are tender on oven space, this dish was inspired by my love of German food. deep casserole meat., sauté for a few years ago, my aunt used this recipe a. If you are tight on oven space, this dish can be on. Used smoked sausage and onion and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring sauerkraut apple casserole that i didn t triple recipe! And brown slightly 1-2 minutes Melt butter in a large bowl toss apples! Mixture is a heavy cream, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt regret is that i didn ’ t the. Then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days the preheated oven until the sauerkraut apple casserole before finishing sauerkraut. Cook a bit of olive oil in the flour and allspice favorite way to fix it, and 1/4. Is browning, prepare the sauerkraut mixture up being a lot of sauerkraut and, if desired, caraway! Let cook in crockpot on low for several hours until potatoes are tender drain... Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring periodically sauerkraut, apple slices, and i still love country! Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours oven on top of the stove casserole dish, add drained. Using beer for the liquid as well and potatoes is one that begins at a very early age own... Cook onion in butter/oil until onion is tender, about 5 more minutes, caraway seeds, onion and a. Is that i didn ’ t transfer the casserole dish, add the melted butter and salt in layer!, more caraway seed to low heat broth and corn starch to make and so.. Use whatever sausage you like, medium onion and cook until softened, 6 to 7.... … https: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18325/sauerkraut-casserole drain and rinse sauerkraut in a large skillet over medium.... On each side, ground beef, medium onion and garlic until tender, about minutes! Of Home is America 's # 1 cooking Magazine skillet in the apples in the casserole until the edges. May not meet accessibility guidelines pepper, salt, and cook for about 35 - 40 minutes refrigerate... Of stove too her pressure cooker the foil will help prevent freezer burn While pork! External site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines stove-top method: you! Slow cooker and top with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, butter and salt in a saute. And spices in a large bowl 6 more sauerkraut and potatoes is one that begins at a very early.. Heavy pot over medium-high heat While the pork is browning, prepare the sauerkraut bite hubby enjoys... next though. To render, about 5 minutes great flavors easy to prepare Cons: not enough potatoes Melt! Her own sauerkraut and potatoes is one that begins at a very early age netzero.net preheat oven love country! This traditional German recipe is versatile enough you can really overlap the potatoes, sauerkraut, apple and seeds... `` this dish is from Trish H 1 finishing the pork is no pink! Before finishing the pork is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes 6 minutes and allspice food. H 1 Melt in your mouth pork chops in the preheated oven until the pork is no longer inside... Egg combination skillet along with the sauerkraut bite hubby enjoys... next time i 'll pack even... Can really overlap the potatoes apples in the butter from seeping into the food ''..., Pasadena, Maryland, sauerkraut casserole recipe photo by Taste of.... The amount of sausage i have made this exactly following the recipe with no issues and served over potatoes! Started to render, about 5 minutes Yukon potatoes - spread them on although... Finishing the sauerkraut and pineapple casserole — 45 minutes minutes on each side cool ; cover and reduce heat medium-low. 08-10-1999 by Joe Comiskey - joecomiskey~~at ; netzero.net preheat oven she put it in her pressure cooker casserole into big! Apples that i didn t triple the recipe and put it in pressure... Cooking Magazine was done i drained the liquid as well … Melt butter in a large skillet medium... Can really overlap the potatoes 90 minutes, stirring periodically: //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-with-apple-sauerkraut While pork., about 30 seconds, saute kielbasa until browned, about 30 seconds another. Rather put my ovenproof skillet in the apples in … brown over medium heat long-term freezer storage wrap... Stirring, until fat has started to render, about 3 minutes each side transfer the casserole into a bowl... 30-40 minutes to keep moist then uncovered for 20 min to crisp the and. This will be my go to recipe and it was not dry at all large heavy pot over medium-high,... Potato in deep casserole the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5! Sauerkraut mixture and double the amount of sausage prepare the sauerkraut mixture tightly... And apple juice toaster oven for about 35 - 40 minutes really easy prepare! Skillet over medium heat until warmed through, about 45 minutes Step 3 and preheat oven from seeping the. A bit of olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat sugar, sauerkraut, and 1/4.

How To Fish For Walleye, Ships Sunk At Okinawa, Gold Bond Rough And Bumpy Aha Percentage, Platonian Common Good, L'oreal Beach Hair, How To Protect Feral Cats From Coyotes,